Sunday, February 14, 2010

Comix #1: Alex Ross

I have been wanting to do some spotlights on comix artists. I hate the popularity of 'Graphic Novels' and there's of course so much politics revolving around this industry. But I really want to shine some light on some of the great painters. I know this stuff is a little dated but when you say "Comix Painter" the first name that comes to mind is Alex Ross. He's totally famous for his superhero stuff but I think we're all a little bit more familiar with his political work:

(He did that Obama Superman one too)

I guess the thing that stands out the most about Ross' work is that he has a really steady and prolific career in the Superhero industry and his reputation as a quality artist is flawless... is it his wealth and respectable career that allows him the political freedom to say so much in his paintings? In the male dominated world of comix, homosexuality is still "scary" and it seems so rare to see images like this in the industry. It seems like something should have "mysteriously" happened to him already but since nothing has I hope we continue to see this more "edgy" graphic art being released.

No comments: