Tuesday, February 23, 2010

FYI

In one day I went to the NYC MoMA, The Met and New Museum.

Super quick recap:

SEE CHUCK CLOSE IN PERSON!  I can't even begin to actually describe how amazing it was.

Marilyn Minter, Green Pink Caviar will make you feel flushed all day.  I need this playing all the time...



I don't care, I have always loved Roy Lichtenstein.

There was so much to take in and there is so much more to write about.  I only made it 1/3 of the way through The Met. I absolutely love seeing really familiar popular art, it's pretty hilarious and all the reprints never really do them justice. I think (and I know you all do too) it's so important to see things in real life. However every time I saw Picasso Bozly's voice popped into my head and said "Fuck Picasso".

4 comments:

manders said...

amen sista girlfriend. art in person!

did you get to see Hirst's shark???? There is a chance I will be in the city over summer and I really want to see it before it's 3 year loan is up.

also, picasso is an asshole (if jonathan richman won't say it, i will). but he still made some great stuff. Did you get to see The Actor? that is the one that some old lady fell on a caused a 6 inch gash (doink!). they said it would be back soon.

Miss Soggy Smog said...

Ooooohhh heck yeah! Totally love it. I've never been the the new museum !!! GOSH! But I totally love moma and the met is pretty freaking hilarious. Like you say, seeing the real thing is so great and funny and kind of unreal and real all rolled into one. My favorite museum in new york is the cooper-hewitt. It's housed in the old andrew carnegie mansion, it's right by the guggenheim, if you are still in new york, you should try to check it out. It's a design museum. It's kind of small but really great and steeped in u.s. history. SO.... I absoultely ADORE hearing about your museum travels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are not enough exclamation points for how happy you make me.

Okay, love you,
Smog

Miss Soggy Smog said...

Oh yes and Miss Manders I LOVE stories like that. Totally the reason for this blog. Too great.

krank said...

I did see Hirst's shark! It's so creepy and awesome and you need to see it!

I heard about the woman I was actually talking about this when we were looking at all these wooden cubic sculptures- how liberating it would be to smash them.... and how shitty it would be if you did it on accident. Anyways it wasn't up, I guess still being repaired.

New Museum was amazing just to see the building and they had Rondinone's "Hell, Yes!" back up which was cool. I guess they were in-between exhibitions so only two floors were open and it was sort of a let down because I just missed Urs Fischer (really bummer). But Sonia is big time and we got in for free so it's was cool.

Ps- we will be in Tucson on Thursday!