Monday, April 12, 2010

James L. Mathewuse

I think that the commentary going on in the last post is really great and if you haven't read it, you should do that now. But.. in my free time browsing the internet (and watching a Sweet Valley High tape I got earlier) I was looking at some of the old, great covers of Sweet Valley High books (Debuted in my birthed year of 1983) and reminiscing about spending hours and hours and hours and hours alone as a youth reading. I always loved these covers so much, but now I feel like I'm probably going to add this guy to my list of artist critique in the upcoming Soggy Stuff #6 along with Gil Elvgren and Charles Gibson.


Painted book covers are awesome. He did some of the later Nancy Drew ones too.
Love ya,
Smog

1 comment:

manders said...

i looooooooove it!

but i must admit i was a BSC girl myself. dont hate.

I have to say it wasn't until i saw a harlequin book cover exhibit very recently that i actually thought about the artist behind the cover art. While they can be excruciatingly formulaic, they are strikingly iconic. Obviously, for us riot-girl idealizing, Jezebel reading, Bust magazine toting, card carrying fems, these covers bring up issues (which in regards to the sweet valley books, aren't as prevalent, but holy moly they sure are with harlequin novels) of femininity and societal views of women. but... we still love them!

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/images/articleImages/May09HarlequinFT.jpg

http://thebigredapple.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/harlequin.jpg

thanks smog! i love the image of the artist. i had never even thought about the fact that these were actual canvased images. who has them now!!!!>>????!!! i want!!!!!!

~manders

ps. now i am never gonna get back to school work, cause i am obsessively looking up BSC covers.